SA101 – West of Ifield – “Not Currently Developable”
This is a strategic scale site located in Horsham District but directly adjoining the settlement of Crawley. The land has been proposed by Homes England and a consortium of other land owners, meaning the site is available for development.
This site has been proposed for a development of around 3,000 homes and associated infrastructure. A small proportion of this land falls within the administrative boundary of Crawley Borough Council and there is the need for cross boundary working in the consideration of this site.
There are a number of constraints which impact the suitability and achievability of development on this site. This includes:
1. Impacts on flooding [See HE bullet point 2 “Green space & Flood Protection – Comprehensive flood protection scheme – Target 50% Green Space”], and
2. The setting of Ifield Conservation area [See HE bullet point 2 “Green space and Flood Protection – Ifield Brook Meadows protected. Linear Parks – Target 50% Green Space”].
3. The northern part of the site is within the Gatwick Airport Safeguarding area and noise contours [See HE bullet point 3 “Gatwick Compliant”].
4. There are also a number of infrastructure issues which would need to be addressed, including
(a) sewerage, and
(b) impacts on the existing road infrastructure [See HE bullet point 4 “Western Relief Road and Movement”].
Unless allocated for development through the review of the Horsham District Planning Framework, this site would be contrary to policies 1, 4 and 25 of the HDPF in particular. The site is therefore assessed as ‘Not Currently Developable’.
Justification (not in HDC Housing Report 2018)
5. Loss of Ifield Golf Club and thus the extensive ‘Biodiversity’ of its land [See bullet point 6 “Biodiversity – 10% Biodiversity net gain] – See “Sussex Biodiversity Record Centre” analysis.
6. Broken promises and trust issues
(a) Ifield Brook Meadows [Local Green Space] – HE lack of cooperation with CBC and community(eg ‘Private’ signs & ‘Biodiversity’ signs).
(b) Destruction of two small bridges in Ifield Brook Meadows
(c) Culling of rabbit population in Village Conservation Area.
(d) “10,000+ – 35% Affordable”? (See bullet point 1 “High quality and diverse housing offer – 10,000+ homes 35% affordable”]
(e) Bullet points 5 “Schools” 7 “Sociable and vibrant neighbourhoods” 8 “Employment”. Promises deliverable? Trust?