THE HIDDEN PLAQUE OF REMEMBRANCE TO ROBINSON ROAD [WITHIN THE ANCIENT PARISH OF IFIELD]

 

This plaque is in memory of the

Crawley and Ifield Hospital 1896-1938,

the Bethnal [Bethel- Ed] Chapel 1858-2002, the general post office 1895-1928,

and the British School 1854-1916,

founded by the quaker Sarah Robinson

“These words are just a tribute

To those places here no more

Our lovely little Bethnal [Bethel] Chapel

Where people were buried next door”

“The Sarah Robinson little school

A Hospital, post office, places we knew

They were all part of old Crawley

Robinson Road, favourite of all”

Pam Chappell 2004

 

Photo 1907 – The Francis Frith Collection

ROBINSON ROAD [FORMERLY POST OFFICE ROAD]

ROBINSON ROAD [NORTH OF THE RAILWAY LINE – FIRST ROAD TO LEFT AFTER LEVEL CROSSING – DEAD END]

 

Photo [above] provided by Edward Stephen Smith – with thanks [in Crawley Museum]

BETHEL CHAPEL [CRAWLEY BAPTIST CHURCH]

 

CRAWLEY AND IFIELD COTTAGE HOSPITAL

 

BRITISH SCHOOL

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/sussex/vol6/pt3/pp72-73