This Saturday, a mini-walk – ‘Caring for God’s Acre’ – will take place from the Plough in Ifield village at 11am [finishing before 1pm]
There will be a mini-tour of the church cemetery – highlighting the heritage, humanity and wildlife of this unique area of the ancient Parish of Ifield.
A view is held that St Margaret’s Church [and the Diocese of Chichester] bear specific responsibilities, especially with regard to the Church being the geographical centre of the ancient Parish of Ifield.
A Future Vision for the Parish – proposed by the Ifield Society
1. Lychgate Cottages to become a Parish Heritage Centre + Re-launch of the Lychgate Vintage Tea Rooms event.
2. St Margaret’s Parish Fields to be saved from development and transformed into a Local Nature Reserve [LNR]
3. ‘Beating the Bounds’ of the ancient Parish boundary [once a year]
4. ‘Caring for God’s Acre’ Cemetery Walks [August each year]
5. Parish Vision Walk – [September each year]
6. Bishop Bell Diocese Day to be celebrated [October each year]
7. Geraint Thomas Day to be celebrated [November each year]
8. ‘Save Our Parish’ – National and Local Campaigns.
9. Lychgate Vintage Tea Rooms –
MINI-TOUR – SATURDAY – OCT 2 2021
(a) HUMAN HISTORY – RICHARD SYMONDS
(b) NATURAL HISTORY – DAVID MOON
OLDE PLOUGH COTTAGE AND THE ELIZABETH FRY BLUE PLAQUE
HARROW COTTAGE AND H. MONK GROCER & PORK BUTCHER
WAR MEMORIAL AND W.F. DRUGHORN [with special thanks to parishioner Ron Binmore]
MARK LEMON GRAVE
THORNTON’S CHILDREN GRAVE AND INSCRIPTION
ELIAS EASTON GRAVE AND INSCRIPTION
MARIA SOPHIA ROSE GRAVE
REVD JOHN ALLEN GRAVE
MONK FAMILY GRAVE AND INSCRIPTIONS
MARIAN PESKETT GRAVE AND INSCRIPTION
ELDRED THORNTON WAR GRAVE
PHYLLIS KATHLEEN SALMON TABLET INSCRIPTION